Saturday, November 8, 2014

KCCO

This page is going to be one of a kind on my blog.



So....Let me start.... somewhere.



Hunter is 21, was two months shy of heading west to put his welding education and knowledge to use. (West, ha! Pretty much anywhere west of us covers the whole US of A ;-) ) Hey, we'd been telling him to go, be free while you can! He's a die hard Chiver!!! #KCCO

So, his buddy J was back home from a welding job, they go way back. Like, to preschool. The first time that J came over to play I had to get on to them for shooting (honest to God real) arrows straight up, and running to avoid certain impaled arrows. Sixteen years later, I still cringe but jeez, boys will be boys and all that. Ok, Labor Day. Boat. River. Friends.



My husband had just arrived home from his own several day stay in the hospital when J's girlfriend called me, Hunter had been in a four wheeler wreck, they found him unconscious near the woods and called 911. I hurriedly gathered up Cajer, my granddaughter and husband and we rushed to the hospital. We were met by a nurse who showed us to a very small room where my parents were already waiting. Long story short: 



Within about 24 hours, we knew a lot: He is darn lucky to be alive. Every doctor who saw him told me that, Tom saw where he wrecked... God has plans for him still. I'm not surprised. Anyway...hearing about his injuries was overwhelming but so much nicer than hearing from the chaplains... although he had a TBI, it wasn't expected to be long term.(and it isn't!)  He really just smashed the ever livin' hell outta the left side of his body: while still in the trauma bay he had his left leg put in traction (he got screwed. To the bed. They DO that.) as preparation for surgery in "the morning" which meant "four to six hours so we can make sure he's gonna live before we bother" /I often force my sarcasm upon others/sonotsorry. His face: eye socket, sinus cavity, jaw, ear were bone soup and he had lost his hearing. (Huh?!) His shoulder was damaged and left to heal, as was his broken hip.  During the many tests done to search for damage they discovered a problem with his heart that requires surgery. No doctor in our area has done this surgery on an adult, so I'm currently trying to figure out what the options are for his surgery.  He was in ICU for... 4 days? Then on the floor for two, when I was shocked at his release!!! (Seriously wth!) Apparently, in the medical world, if you're a jerk they do in fact hold it against you once you're not requiring the life sustaining services provided by ICU. In fact, they will band together like a village and go right to your doctor and next thing you know, you HAVE your bed, YOUR food. And your pain! Rough, rough time right there that brought our family together in amazing ways, really showed us God has this, we are just along for the ride. Put your helmet on! Things are still very hard, he has another X-Ray in two weeks to see how he's healing. He's in physical therapy twice a week, hour and a half driving for a half hour appt, thank God for blessing Hunter and me with Tom, he takes him since that much driving is rough on my back. If you'd like to donate please click here. We have a great friend who set up this account to help us through this time, as we have pretty much lost the lawn care business. 





No comments:

Post a Comment